Originally published on Torontoist on December 8, 2008.
Toronto Star, October 28, 1948.
2008 was an eventful year for Duke’s Cycle. Its longtime home on Queen Street east of Bathurst was destroyed by fire on February 20th along with several neighbouring businesses. Less than two months later the store was back in business in a nearby storefront on Richmond Street, with hopes of rebuilding on Queen in the future.
A re-opening under happier circumstances occurred 60 years earlier, at a time when the store also carried appliances and home entertainment products. Among the draws for customers at the expanded store was a chance to glimpse transmissions from the region’s first television station to offer a regular broadcast schedule.