Vintage Toronto Ads: No Dead Temps at Yonge and Eglinton

Originally published on Torontoist on March 23, 2007.

2007_03_23coffin.jpg

Source: Toronto Life, May 1968.

Could employees turned into corpses or members of the undead in secret government experiments conducted via unethical temp agencies in the late 1960s be the source of Toronto’s love affair with all things zombie?

It’s not just the presence of a coffin that’s askew in today’s ad. Based on the phone our dignified businessman is holding, you decide if:

  • Toronto was a test market for early compact portable phones (down south, the FCC cleared the way for frequencies that would be used for early cell phones the year this ad appeared).
  • The ad agency hired an overzealous paste-up artist to crop the original photo.
  • The model used his kid’s toy receiver.

As an address, 90 Eglinton East still exists as an office building.

Vintage Toronto Ads: Beautiful Music, Beautiful View

Originally published on Torontoist on March 2, 2007.

Vintage Ad #183 - Beautiful Music, Beautiful View

Source: Toronto Life, April 1972.

Ah, “beautiful music.” A term rarely attached to current radio formats, this middle-of-the-road mix was the mainstay of many powerhouse radio stations in the 1970s. Two versions of the format tended to exist:

  • Stations that played mainly light instrumentals, covers of popular tunes, Mantovani and Percy Faith, all to be used as inoffensive background music. In Toronto, CHFI was one of the best-known purveyors of this style.
  • Stations that mixed these tunes with Broadway selections, crooners, lighter pop acts and heavy servings of news, sports, weather and commentary—this type was also known as a “full service” station.

CKEY was among the stations that waded into the full service battlefield. With all the references to “cheery,” “smile,” and “warm,” don’t you want to flip on the radio to feel all fuzzy as you’re sitting in traffic on the Don Valley Parking Lot?

After attempts to compete with CHUM for Top 40 listeners in the late 1950s/early 1960s, CKEY switched formats in the mid-1960s, battling for an older audience with CFRB. Keith Rich was morning man for most of the station’s full service days, from 1965 through 1986. The station switched to oldies in 1984, then country (as CKYC, aka “Country 59”) in 1991. The station’s format and call letters were switched with all-sports CJCL 1430 in 1995, leading to today’s Fan 590.

Number One Yonge Street was a month away from its official opening when this ad appeared. Its prime (and current) tenant, the Toronto Star, had moved its operations over in December. Note the limited number of modern skyscrapers in the two skyline views—the boom was about to get underway (including the Star’s old site, soon to become First Canadian Place).

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL

Vintage Ad #184 - People Look Up to CKEY News

Source: Toronto Life, April 1972.

The original post didn’t include the accompanying ad for CKEY which spotlighted former evangelist/provincial politician/Maclean’s editor Charles Templeton (you can click on either image to see larger versions of them). Templeton joined CKEY in 1970, for reasons outlined in the Globe and Mail:

Templeton will become the creator and presenter of CKEY’s 8 a.m. news. CKEY wanted him because it needed a big name–which he certainly is–to battle CFRB’s Jack Dennett, and it wanted someone who would give the news a personal twist rather than a straight factual presentation. Surveys say that’s what the public wants.

In the first ratings released following Templeton’s hiring, released in December 1970, CKEY only added 11,000 more listeners at 8 a.m., placing the station in third place at that hour (Dennett, who picked up 58,000 listeners from a year earlier, remained in first, while CHUM-AM’s Dick Smyth came in second). CKEY did double its 10:00 a.m. audience with a Templeton-Pierre Berton commentary spot which had previously aired on CFRB.

Templeton’s ratings gradually grew so that by the time he left his morning newscast in September 1976, his audience grew from 89,000 listener to 158,800. He told the Star that, as his passion for writing books grew, getting up at 5:45 every morning had lost its appeal.

gm 1977-10-03 rich ckey ad

Source: Globe and Mail, October 3, 1977.

In a 1972 interview with the Star, Rich compared his morning show to the city’s reigning morning man at the time, CFRB’s Wally Crouter.

At CKEY we try to be tighter, more concise than CFRB. We play more music, offer more services such as traffic reports. Our sound as a result isn’t as relaxed as Wally’s. Up here we are as regular as a bloody music clock.

gm 1981-09-22 rich ckey ad

Illustration by Andy Donato. Source: Globe and Mail, September 22, 1981

In March 1986, Rich was lured away by CJCL 1430, the ancestor of the station which currently occupies CKEY’s old frequency, Fan 590. Rich’s new home had been trying to woo him for awhile, until its financial offer was too good to resist. Rich told the Star his departure from CKEY was “entirely amicable” and that his new home would be “a nice way to wrap up my career.” Rich continued at CKEY until the end of May, and was replaced by longtime CHUM personality Jay Nelson.

star 1986-06-22 rich cjcl ad Source: Toronto Star, June 22, 1986.

During the three months between stations, Rich’s upcoming employment at CJCL couldn’t be mentioned in advertising. But the station came up with a workaround. A campaign which debuted in June 1986 depicted Rich dressed as a Blue Jay, chef, Hollywood executive, and other occupations, under the headline “D.J. AVAILABLE. WILL DO ALMOST ANYTHING.” Those who phoned the number included in the ads heard a recording of Rich: “You know that I’m looking for ideas to keep me busy until I join the CJCL morning team in September.” Callers were asked to suggest jobs, and promised they would receive a written reply from Rich.

star 1986-09-07 rich cjcl adSource: Toronto Star, September 7, 1986.

Rich stayed with CJCL until he announced his retirement in October 1990. His final show was broadcast from the lobby of the Royal York Hotel. He passed away in 2007.

Additional material from the September 7, 1970 edition of the Globe and Mail, and the December 19, 1970, June 3, 1972, September 8, 1976, March 12, 1986, and June 6, 1986 editions of the Toronto Star. 

Vintage Toronto Ads: Opulent Penthouse-Style Living

Originally published on Torontoist on February 23, 2007.

2007_02_23topofvalley.jpg

When searching for a new place to live, what is the first thing you look for? Location? Lifestyle compatibility? Enticements? A blank slate to shape in your unique style? Groovy wallpaper?
Judging from today’s ad, the latter may have been a key condition in North York back in 1970.

This was the era of “swingin’ singles” apartments, promoted in areas of the city like St. James Town. Think of this ad as the late 1960s equivalent of lifestyle ads pitched to upwardly-mobile condo buyers, without the benefits of ownership—replace “penthouse living” with “loft”, “condo” or “lifestyle community” and the text could be slotted into the next project to hit the weekend paper.

Depending on decorating taste, your eyes may be thankful for the decision to make this a black and white ad, given the loudness of the “luxury wallpapers” in this “opulent bathroom.” Is the tenant pointing into space, admiring her new surroundings or relieved that she found the mirror in the midst of everything? Conversely, the decor may provide cozy memories of homes you grew up in or your first snazzy pad.

Note the prominent placement of the toilet paper dispenser—was the photographer passing subliminal judgement?

While current enticements to potential tenants include free TVs and time-restricted reduced parking rates, this company capitalized on the recent opening of Fairview Mall (then anchored by Simpsons and The Bay) by offering a shuttle service. Today, residents further south in Don Mills have use of a shuttle to the mall in the wake of the demolition of the Don Mills Centre.

Source: Toronto Life, September 1970

Vintage Toronto Ads: Carpet with Civic Fibres

Originally published on Torontoist on February 16, 2007.

Next time you visit the library, take a look at the carpeting and furniture. Does it make you want to linger with a good book or run through the checkout as fast as possible?
2007_02_16MRLcarpet.jpgThe Toronto Reference Library, which celebrates its 30th anniversary in November, was breaking itself in when today’s ad appeared. Judging from the number of people seen sleeping there, the carpet colours may be too easy on some readers’ eyes. Architect Raymond Moriyama’s design, with carpeted walls, easy-to-browse open shelves and the 70s see-through elevator, lends a comforting, cozy feel, turning short trips into lengthy stays, especially in winter. Moriyama’s firm is still involved in the building, contributing to its renewal plan.
 
The Reference Library’s roots date back to 1830, with the establishment of the Toronto Mechanics’ Institute (originally named York, until the city changed its name in 1834). Modeled after similar groups formed in Great Britain during the 1820s, its aim, according to Robertson’s Landmarks of Toronto, was “the mutual improvement of mechanics and others who become members of the society in arts and sciences by the formation of a library of reference and circulation, by the delivery of lectures on scientific and mechanical subjects embraced by this constitution from which all discussion of political or religious matters is to be carefully excluded.”

Originally located on Colborne St, the Institute moved to the northeast corner of Church and Adelaide in the mid-1850s. By 1858, the library consisted of 4,000 books, available to 800 paying members. A city bylaw passed in 1883 established a free public library system, which the Mechanics’ Institute was folded into. When the library opened to full public access the following spring, the rush of people wishing to use it quickly led to increased staff and multiple copies of popular titles.

In 1903, the city received a Carnegie grant to build a new central library and several branches, including Yorkville, Queen/Lisgar (now used by the city’s Public Health department) and Riverdale. When the new Toronto Reference Library opened at St. George and College in 1909, it contained nearly 100,000 books. The Institute building remained a branch through the late 1920s, the was used as offices by the city’s public welfare department until it was demolished in the late 1940s.
In 1967, the Metropolitan Toronto Library Board was established to handle the reference library and special collections acquired over the years. Moriyama presented his design in 1970, with construction underway by 1975. The old library was sold to the University of Toronto and now serves as the Koffler Student Services Centre, which includes the main branch of the U of T Bookstore.

Source: Saturday Night, March 1978.

Vintage Toronto Ads: Baseball’s Back at the Simpsons Dugout

Originally published on Torontoist on February 9, 2007.

Depressed by the current deep freeze? Here’s something to make you feel warmer – next week, the boys of summer (or at least the pitchers and catchers) report for spring training for the Blue Jays’ 30th anniversary season.
2007_02-09simpsons.jpgSimpsons was one of many businesses eager to show their support when the Jays prepared to take the field in 1977. The “Simpsons Dugout” concept almost sounds like the Olympic section at The Bay (also located on the second floor of the Queen-Yonge store), though it’s doubtful you can buy an Olympic ashtray. Note the happy family in their Jays finery, except for mom, who looks as if she can’t wait to tear her cap off.

Professional baseball has a long history in Toronto, dating back to the 1880s. The longest-lasting team was the Maple Leafs (1895-1967), who played in the Eastern and International Leagues. Under media mogul Jack Kent Cooke’s ownership in the 1950s, the team led the IL in attendance, winning four championships that decade. A Boston Red Sox farm team for its final three seasons, the team moved to Louisville after the 1967 season. Among the Maple Leafs’ home fields were Hanlan’s Point Stadium (several incarnations from 1897 to 1925) and Maple Leaf Stadium (built in 1926 at the southwest corner of Bathurst and Lakeshore, demolished 1968).

Major league baseball nearly made its TO debut in 1976, when the San Francisco Giants announced that January that a deal had reached to sell the team to a group primarily financed by Labatt’s, who intended to transfer the team here. A court injunction brought on by San Francisco mayor George Moscone delayed the deal long enough that buyers were found to keep the team in the Bay area. Within a month, the American League voted to expand to Toronto and Seattle for the following season.

Toronto was not the first major league team to carry the name “Blue Jays.” The Philadelphia Phillies officially changed their name to the Blue Jays in 1943, when new owner William Cox tried to shake up a team that had finished in last place six out of the seven previous seasons. The name never caught on with fans or sportswriters and was dropped after the 1944 season. Cox was gone before that, having been thrown out of baseball after the 1943 season when he admitted he placed “sentimental” bets on Philadelphia games.

The debut scorebook this ad appeared includes articles on previous major league expansions, the first American League game in 1901, the Baseball Hall of Fame, etc. Oddball feature: a guide on how to dine out in Toronto by longtime Globe and Mail restaurant reviewer Joanne Kates. Top ticket price in 1977? $6.50.

Source: Toronto Blue Jays Scorebook Magazine, Vol 1 No 17, 1977

Vintage Toronto Ads: Enjoy the Light Show, Leave the “T-Shirt” at Home

Originally published on Torontoist on February 1, 2007.

Source: Toronto Life, November 1985

Judging from today’s ad, a blinded-by-the-light good time was to be had on the east end of the Danforth in the mid-1980s, as long as you weren’t wearing a “t-shirt”. The quotations around this standard piece of North American apparel makes one wonder how quickly a potential patron would have been tossed for this fashion faux-pas, or if dressier types of non-button-down apparel were OK.

The 1950s sci-fi movie light poles look as if they could have emitted death rays in case the yuppie crowd grew uncontrollable, or as a method of mind control to convince patrons to move to bar #4 after several drinks at bar #2.

2714 Danforth had a long history as an entertainment venue, beginning with its original incarnation as the Grover Theatre. Named after the local phone exchange, the Grover operated as a neighbourhood cinema from the 1920s through the mid-1950s. After its Spectrum period, it was the Thunder Nightclub, complete with appropriately cheesy sign.

By 2001, Thunder’s days were numbered, with two suspicious fires breaking out before the city provided funds to the Dixon Hall social agency to run the site as a homeless shelter. While there was some community opposition, the site was reopened as Heyworth House. Jeans, “t-shirts” and running shoes were more than welcome.

A case of a building repaying society for its past excesses?

Vintage Toronto Ads: Great Depression Hospitality

Originally published on Torontoist on January 23, 2007.

Vintage Ad #133 - King Edward Hotel 1934

Source: Toronto’s 100 Years 1834-1934

TO. Hogtown. The Queen City of Canada. The Centre of the Universe. Centennial City. All names applied to Toronto over the years.

Centennial city?

That was the nickname tossed around when Toronto celebrated its 100th birthday in 1934. To commemorate the event, a Centennial Committee was put together by city council, whose lasting work was Jesse Edgar Middleton’s book Toronto’s 100 Years 1834-1934. The book includes a variety of sketches of the city’s first century, as well as a program from a “service of thanksgiving and prayer” (and Wagner and Rachmaninoff) held on March 5th to mark the anniversary. Among the sub-committees formed for the celebration: permanent memorial, song judging (which included poet E.J. Pratt), drill corps display and stamp exhibition.

The last 60 pages of the book feature ads from leading institutions and businesses of the city. One of those still surviving is the King Edward Hotel, recently displaced as the city’s most fashionable place to stay by the newly-built Royal York. Opened in 1903, the King Edward was built on the former site of the Golden Lion department store. The hotel was designed by architect E. J. Lennox, who also worked on Old City Hall, Casa Loma and the Massey Mausoleum in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery. The original eight floors were joined by an 18-storey addition on the east side of the hotel in 1921.

In 1932, the hotel entered receivership, which probably accounts for the rates “keeping with the times” at the height of the Great Depression. Using the Bank of Canada inflation calculator, based on the Consumer Price Index, shows that the starting rates for those rooms would be $45-120, or your average roadside chain hotel today. The 50 cent breakfast? $7.50.

Note all the elements designed to lure a posh crowd, even as they began to recover from financial ruin. A floor just for the ladies! Not just any run-of-the-mill French chef, but one honoured by the French government! Not just a house band, but “an internationally famous 15-piece orchestra”! The latter claim had some merit – Luigi Romanelli, who led the hotel’s house band from 1923 until his death in 1942, made radio appearances with his Monarchs of Melody on CBC and NBC.

Weak management and competition from newer hotels downtown led to proposals to raze the building in the mid-1970s. Instead, much of the hotel was restored by the early 1980s, though the Crystal Ballroom on the upper levels remains in ruins, used to teach fly fishing.

UPDATE (June 2017): The Crystal Ballroom eventually underwent renovation, reopening for public use in April 2017.